Friday, March 16, 2018

4 Things We Loved About Playa Del Carmen




Playa Del Carmen is a fun town. Normally we don't go to super touristy places. They tend to be overwhelming, and it doesn't usually feel like an authentic experience. Since it was New Years, we thought it would be a fun place to spend a couple of days. We had a blast and I'm so glad we decided to venture out of our norm because we have some wonderful pictures and memories. 

Here are 4 things we loved about Playa Del Carmen




1. Beautiful street art


In pretty much every city we visit, I love to look for fun, colorful street art. Playa del Carmen did not disappoint and we didn't have to look very hard. Around just about every corner, there were murals or fun designs painted on buildings all over town. Some were small and some were massive. I knew Tulum had a lot of great art, but it was a pleasant surprise when we found it in Playa as well.


2. Getting off the main strip


Like most people probably do, we started our trip on the main tourist strip. Since it was New Years, it was extremely crowded and quite frankly, it was overwhelming. Most of what we saw were tourist shops, chain restaurants, and clothing stores we have at home. To get away from the chaos, we wandered down some of the side streets and found little places that weren't as crowded. Not only were they not as crowded, they were much cheaper! We spent our evening in a tiny bar (I wish I remembered the name) on a side street that was basically deserted. We made friends while we were there and it felt a little bit like home. It was the perfect evening.








3. Our Airbnb


Our cute little Airbnb was an oasis hidden from the hustle and bustle of the town and the new years festivities. We had a cozy balcony that overlooked a serene garden. When we needed to get away from everything, we'd sit outside and drink coffee in the morning or have afternoon beers before heading back out for dinner. It was the perfect way to reset before going back into town. 






In general, I feel like we get a more personal experience when we get out of the hotel zones and stay in local neighborhoods. Airbnbs have really changed the way we travel. If you've never tried Airbnb, but have been thinking about trying it (I highly encourage it!!), here is $40 off your first stay. Just use this link to get the discount. Also, no one tell my husband I put this picture on here. He would kill me! I just couldn't help it because I love this patio so much. 

We stayed really close to the airport, which was surprisingly nice. It was out of the super touristy areas, but was still very walkable. There were grocery stores nearby and there was a bank about two blocks away which made getting cash out of the ATMs really easy.It was also nice that all of the food options were much cheaper. 



4. Street Tacos



We ate a lot of food on our trip, but the thing I miss the most are the street tacos. This isn't just advice for Playa Del Carmen, but it held true in every town we visited in the area. Not only are they extremely cheap, but they are filling and delicious. Just thinking about them makes my mouth water. It can be a little intimidating trying to order in Spanish, but everyone was really patient with us. Give it a try. You won't regret it. I don't know how I made it out of Mexico without taking pictures of my tacos, but I did....so here is a picture of us at the beach with our bellies full of tacos.

When I first started planning this trip, I wasn't that excited about Mexico since it is basically our next door neighbor. It didn't feel exotic or adventurous. I also wasn't thrilled about Playa Del Carmen because I thought it wouldn't have the charm we were looking for. Now that we are home, I miss it so much. I fell in love while I was there and we will definitely be back.



xo-Nancy





No comments:

Post a Comment